2.23.2010

Fall 2010

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of visiting New York during fashion week. While I didn't make it to any official shows due to time constraints, I did drop by a lavish event at the Waldorf-Astoria.

The gorgeous ceiling of the Grand Ballroom.

Called "Couture Fashion Week," this three-day queue of shows and exhibits isn't on the Mercedes-Benz-sponsored agenda, but rather produced independently, and featured miscellaneous artists and designers from around the world. By no means a paltry production- VIP tickets ran as high as five grand a piece- I attended because of my recent internship. My boss, Susan Freda, had been invited to create a sculptural wire dress (her specialty), and I'd spent weeks helping to develop and crochet the lace patterns that composed the piece.

I wasn't able to catch Sue's show on Saturday, but after a long morning bus ride & winding through the Valentine's and Chinese New Year-infatuated streets, I arrived in time to attend a show featuring Susi Hammer of Argentina, Prizy Sebastian of the USA, and the Korea Couture Design Collective.

To be honest, I felt that the designs were somewhat lacking. Most of the show wasn't that impressive, and it seemed like the focus of the overall production was high-end entertainment rather than the promotion of truly outstanding design. All I could think was that it certainly wasn't McQueen, but that is probably unfair.

In any case, there were some gorgeous pieces.


Very Prada-esque, don't you think?

This feathered/tulle ensemble by the Korea Collective was, hands down, my favorite piece of the show.

Suzi Hammer and her models.

...I didn't realize runway photography was so difficult! So often, the models breezed right by me before I could even focus the lens. Fortunately I was sitting second-row, so it made things a little easier.

It was an interesting experience, in the end. I will post photos of the wire gown from my internship when I get them!

Also, actual fashion week reviews to come!

Love,
Tee

1 comment:

Kelley Anne said...

The feather dress looks incredible and your photo of it is great. I can't wait to see the wire dress that you worked on.